2016 Annual Meeting: Day 2 Highlights

by Chad Austin, BSCNC Communications
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 | 3 yrs old

On the second day of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina’s (BSCNC) 186th Annual Meeting, messengers approved the 2017 Cooperative Program budget, elected new officers and heard several ministry reports. Following are highlights from the second day of the meeting. Highlights from day one are available here.

• At the close of registration at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, 560 pastors, 252 pastors’ spouses, 241 other church staff and 485 laity registered for a total of 1,538 messengers. An additional 320 visitors registered for a total of 1,858 in attendance.

• David Platt, president of the SBC’s International Mission Board delivered the convention sermon during a special “Impact” worship service, which included worship by Summit Worship from The Summit Church in Durham. Platt challenged pastors and church leaders to lead their churches into difficult and dangerous places for the sake of the gospel from 1 Corinthians 15.

• Milton A. Hollifield Jr. challenged messengers to reach out to those individuals who have been overlooked or avoided. Hollifield issued the challenge by preaching from the event’s theme verse of Luke 14:23 during his executive director-treasurer’s report.

• Hollifield also reported that N.C. Baptist sent more than $11.4 million from Cooperative Program receipts to support the overall ministries of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) in 2016. N.C. Baptists led all 42 state contentions in giving to both the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering (more than $14.6 million) and the Annie Armstrong Easter Offering (more than $6 million) in support of international and national missions. Collectively, N.C. Baptist churches gave more than $32 million to SBC causes in its last fiscal year.

• Messengers approved a 2017 Cooperative Program budget of $30.375 million, which represented a 2.9 percent increase over last year’s budget, which equates to an increase of $875,000 over 2016. The budget also increases the state’s allocation to the Southern Baptist Convention missions and ministries by 0.5 percent. The half percent increase brings the BSCNC’s total allocation to the SBC from 40 percent to 40.5 percent, which equates to more than $12.3 million.

• Messengers approved a motion that designates that any undesignated Cooperative Program receipts in excess of $30.375 million be allocated with one-third going to church planting, one-third going to the Southern Baptist Convention and one-third to be divided equally among the Baptist Children’s Homes of North Carolina, the Biblical Recorder and Fruitland Baptist Bible College.

• Messengers approved a goal for the 2017 North Carolina Missions Offering (NCMO) of $2.1 million, which is unchanged from the 2016 goal.

• Cameron McGill, pastor of Dublin First Baptist Church was elected as BSCNC president. McGill ran unopposed and was nominated by Mark Harris, a messenger from First Baptist Church Charlotte.

• Joel Stephens, pastor of Westfield Baptist Church, was elected first vice president. Stephens ran unopposed and was nominated by Rick Speas, messenger from Old Town Baptist Church in Winston-Salem.

• J.D. Grant, pastor of Scotts Creek Baptist Church in Sylva, was elected as second vice president. Grant was elected over David Ethridge, minister to young adults at Mount Vernon Baptist Church in Raleigh, in a ballot vote. In the vote, 654 ballots were cast and Grant received 61.2 percent of the vote (400 votes), Ethridge received 37 percent of the vote (244 votes) and 10 ballots were disallowed due to being cast incorrectly. Grant was nominated by Perry Brindley, messenger from Pole Creek Baptist Church in Candler. Ethridge was nominated by Shannon Scott, messenger from Mount Vernon Baptist Church in Raleigh.

• Messengers approved four motions that amend portions of the BSCNC’s bylaws. The approved amendments provide greater flexibility in scheduling Board of Directors’ meetings; eliminate limitations on employees, trustees and directors of affiliated educational institutions from serving as members of committees and boards for the convention and related entities; clarify the roles of members elected to the Committee on Convention Meetings; and address sections of the bylaws to provide consistency, clarity and correction where needed.

• Messengers approved a resolution of appreciation to the Wake Forest University Z. Smith Reynolds Library for its years of maintaining the N.C. Baptist Historical Collection.

• Messengers collected $6,473.96 in a special offering for Hurricane Matthew relief and recovery.

Next year’s Annual Meeting will be held Nov. 6-7, 2017 in Greensboro, and will include a special prayer service as the convention sermon.

Visit ncbaptist.org and the N.C. Baptist Vimeo page in the coming days for a recap and videos of this year’s Annual Meeting.