Frequently Asked Questions

are provided to help you and your church understand more about how you can participate in the North Carolina Hunger Fund. 

What is the North Carolina Hunger Fund?

The NC Hunger Fund is a source of money for Baptist churches and associations that are working to reduce hunger in their communities. The Fund is administered by the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.

Where does the money come from?

All money distributed by the NC Hunger Fund has been given by North Carolina Baptists and designated for hunger. Some Baptists give money designated specifically for the NC Hunger Fund. Five percent of all money sent to the Baptist State Convention designated for hunger but not more specifically designated (i.e. not designated for a specific mission board, country or hunger project) goes to the NC Hunger Fund. In addition, monies are provided by the North American Mission Board hunger allocations.

Where does the money go? How it is used?

Money is distributed to Baptist churches or associations and all of it is used to help meet food-related needs of hungry people in North Carolina. This is done in a variety of ways, including food pantries, soup kitchens, food banks, Meals on Wheels, community gardens and shelters. Money from the NC Hunger Fund is intended to add to and not replace contributions of money, food and volunteer time already being given by the church or association.

My church is part of an interdenominational food pantry in our community. Can we receive NC Hunger Fund money for this ministry?

Yes. A church or association may request money to be passed on to a community organization with which the church or association is working cooperatively. The church or association is asked to verify that the organization needs the money and that it will be spent wisely.

How much money can my church or association receive?

The NC Hunger Fund distributes more than $100,000 per year. Individual grants rang from $600 to $3000 (A ceiling on the size of grants enables the Fund to help as many churches and associations as possible).

How do I apply for money?

Your church or association must fill out and submit a brief application form by December 31. A committee reviews the applications and the money is distributed on a quarterly basis. If a church or association received money in 2013, those applications must be postmarked by December 31, 2013.

More Information

John Butler  /  /  (800) 395-5102 ext. 5619
Penny Cozad  /  /  (800) 395-5102 ext. 5617